Has your diamond ring lost its sparkle? Have your pearls lost their luster? Does your sterling silver bracelet no longer shine? If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s time to clean out your jewelry box and get the sparkle back in your jewels. At Alson, we’re always happy to professionally clean your jewelry for you, but if you are under time constraints and need a quick fix, here are some great tips on how to add that glitter, sparkle and shine back to the jewelry you love. Follow these quick and easy tips to keep your jewelry looking new.
Jewelry Care Tips
- Do not wear your jewelry while applying lotion, hairspray or cosmetics.
- Do not wear jewelry or watches in chlorine pools, hot tubs or saunas.
- Do not expose jewelry to household cleaning products.
- Store jewelry in fabric-lined boxes or soft felt pouches to prevent scratches.
It’s always best to have your jewelry professionally cleaned by a professional jeweler at least a few times during the year. To keep your jewelry looking beautiful between professional cleanings, we recommend the following:
- When cleaning your jewelry, clean your pieces in a safe location and not over or near a sink where it can slip down the drain or over a hard floor where gemstones can crack when dropped.
- Clean diamond jewelry with a soft toothbrush, warm water and mild detergent. Rinse under warm water.
- Always read the labels on your jewelry cleaner. Sterling silver may become discolored with store-bought cleaners. Always use a polishing cloth for sterling silver or have it professionally cleaned.
- To get the luster back in your favorite pearls, simply wipe each pearl with a damp cloth and then go over each pearl again with a clean, dry soft cloth. Never expose pearl jewelry to chemicals or solvents.
- Rubies, emeralds and sapphires can be cleaned in lukewarm soapy water. Gently clean the gemstone using a very soft brush or damp cloth. Rinse with warm water and pat dry using a soft, clean cloth.
- To keep your gold jewelry looking vibrant, we recommend using a mild detergent and a soft cloth. Soak your gold in a mild detergent for 10-15 minutes and then gently scrub it with a soft brush. Rinse with warm water and dry thoroughly with a soft polishing cloth.
Keeping Your Jewelry Looking Good For Years To Come
- Have your diamond and gemstone jewelry cleaned, polished and checked by a professional jeweler for worn mountings, loose prongs and overall condition at least once per year. Loose prongs may often result in loose gemstones, or may cause the loss of a gemstone. Have your jewelry professionally examined if your jewelry is damaged to ensure that the gemstones are secure and the structure of the ring is intact.
- Have your pearl necklaces or bracelets checked in case they need to be restrung.
- Have your white gold jewelry re-rhodiumed if it has lost its color and luster. Restore the beautiful look of platinum by having it re-polished to remove scratches and regain its original shine.
- Keep your sterling silver jewelry looking beautiful by storing it in an air-tight container. This will help prevent your sterling silver jewelry from tarnishing.
- Watches need TLC as well. Everyday wear and tear can be hard on watches and the most common item to wear out on any watch is the bracelet. Dirt gets in between the bracelet links, acts an abrasive and causes the bracelet to stretch and wear out. Consider having the bracelet professionally cleaned every six months. For maximum performance, clean the bracelet often using an old toothbrush and rinsing it under warm soapy water. Be sure the crown of the watch is fully secured during the cleaning to prevent moisture damage to the movement. If your new timepiece is not water-resistant, always bring it to a professional jeweler for cleaning.
Selling Your Unwanted Jewelry
Once you have gone through your jewelry box to find jewelry that needs to be cleaned, you may have stumbled upon diamond jewelry or watches you no longer wear. If you are not going to pass the jewelry down to a family member or dear friend, bring the piece (or pieces!) in to Alson Jewelers for a thorough evaluation– the process is fast, easy, and confidential. We will inspect your items on the spot and write you a check while you are in the store. You may also decide to trade-in your pieces and if so, we will give you 30% more for an in-store credit to use on anything at Alson Jewelers!